This is a fantastic opportunity to lead strategy and oversee operations for an innovative and impactful health systems strengthening programme, rooted in strong partnerships. The postholder will lead a motivated team of international and national staff and volunteers to deliver a programme of work in partnership with: the University of Sierra Leone Teaching Hospitals Complex at Connaught Hospital, the College of Medicine and Allied Health Sciences and the Ministry of Health and Sanitation.
This role oversees an exciting range of clinical, educational, policy and research activities, which are underpinned by principles of partnership working, to improve the quality of health care in Sierra Leone. The successful candidate will have an understanding of clinical excellence in low income settings, along with strong management and organisational development skills. The postholder will provide strategic leadership to the partnership, as well as providing guidance and direction to the team.
The Country Director will develop strong relationships with a wide variety of actors in Sierra Leone and London including donors, local and international organisations. S/he will also develop networks with other King’s College London global health colleagues and clinical colleagues across King’s Health Partners NHS Trusts, to create a successful and sustainable programme of work. This will require excellent relationship management skills, an inclusive and forward-looking approach to organisational development and a keen understanding of grant management.
Specific responsibilities and objectives of the job:
• Represent KCL with key partners in Sierra Leone – in particular the Ministry of Health; senior leadership at Connaught Hospital, the College of Medicine and Allied Health Sciences. Manage and develop relationships with these partners, as well as with donors and with senior staff across King’s College London, King’s Health Partners NHS Trusts, and other key stakeholders
• Lead and develop the KSLP Management Team, ensuring that they are supported to manage and support the wider team and deliver KSLP’s portfolio of projects to a high standard.
• Lead the development of a partnership strategy for KSLP, working closely with partners and the staff team, and ensuring that planned activities have measurable impact. Build networks in Freetown and London to support the implementation of the strategy, identifying opportunities for collaboration and funding.
• Oversee the stewardship of financial resources, working with the Operations Director to manage the Partnership’s budget, ensuring grants are delivered on time and in compliance with donor requirements.
• Ensure that there are robust systems for risk management, the health and safety, personal and professional wellbeing of staff and volunteers working within the KSLP programme.
• Collaborate with other KGHP programmes in Somaliland, Zambia and Democratic Republic of Congo, sharing learning and contributing to a strengthened portfolio of health partnerships. This includes spending some time working in London.
• Ensure that there is regular and transparent communication between KSLP, the cross-Partnership team and the KGHP Strategy Delivery Board
• Oversee recruitment and professional development of staff and volunteers, further developing a culture that reflects King’s values and nurturing the motivation and passion of all.
• Represent KCL in the media and at external events and meetings in Sierra Leone and internationally
- £ Salary Offer £30,000 ~ £50,000
- $ Salary Offer $50,000 ~ $100,000
- Experience Levels Manager
- Total Years of Experience 5-10