Position Title: Director of Development
Reports To: Executive Director, Zanmi Lasante
Partners In Health (PIH) is a nonprofit organization headquartered in Boston, MA, whose mission is to provide quality health care for the poor and marginalized in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Russia, Dominican Republic, and Navajo Nation. Through service delivery, training, advocacy and research, PIH works around the globe to bring the benefits of modern medical science to those most in need of it, to serve as an antidote to despair, and inspire others to do the same.
Zanmi Lasante (ZL), PIH’s Haitian sister organization, is a health care organization committed to improving the health of the poor and marginalized in Haiti. ZL partners with local communities and the Haitian Ministry of Health (MSPP) to deliver high-quality public health care, address the root causes of illness, train the health care workforce, advance research, and advocate for increased national investments in the health system. ZL’s philosophy is rooted in sustainability and capacity building with the idea that the most powerful means of providing rights-based health care to patients is through leveraging a country’s own public health system. Today, with a team of over 5,000 Haitians, including over 2,000 Community Health Workers (CHWs), ZL supports 13 public health facilities and is one of the largest health care providers in Central Haiti, serving an immediate catchment area of 1.2 million across the Central Plateau and the lower Artibonite.
About the Opportunity
The Zanmi Lasante Development Team coordinates its work closely with the US-based Partners In Health Development effort. The teams have undergone recent restructuring in order to drive sustainable, diversified growth from both unrestricted and restricted sources. The ZL Development Team comprises 4-5 individuals.
The Director of Development (DOD) will oversee in-country fundraising and collaborate with the US team on PIH fundraising, especially regarding funds designated to or restricted for Haiti. Approximately 90% of ZL revenues are raised via this latter, coordinated approach.
Functions and staff overseen by the DOD include:
- Communications (linked closely to the US-based Communications team)
- Proposals and reports development (focused principally on restricted funding) and associated budgeting/financial analysis
- Donor visitation program (a linchpin in conveying an authentic understanding of PIH/ZL’s work)
- The Public Sector consultant, who specializes in USAID contracts
The ideal candidate will have a keen understanding of Haitian culture and history and will be fluent in both English and Kreyol and have consequential experience-based understanding of both private donor and public funder development. S/he will demonstrate the capacity to manage effectively and achieve ambitious team targets in a manner that fosters warm collaboration in a highly matrixed environment. The Director of Development will have experience in attracting and mentoring talent and will dedicate a significant portion of time to building the ZL-based team. S/he will report to the Executive Director of Zanmi Lasante while collaborating closely with US-based Development leadership.
- Create and implement an annual plan with the co-Executive Director in collaboration with Boston Development leaders to expand the PIH/ZL donor base and to grow restricted and unrestricted revenues.
- Create and monitor an annual expense budget.
- Recruit, hire, mentor and retain talent appropriate to evolving roles on the ZL Development Team.
- Establish specific team and individual goals for programs and work with the managers of each program to ensure effective planning and implementation.
- Formulate a system of metrics and strategy for measuring progress toward goals and evaluating overall team and individual performance, with a view to improving current programming.
- Manage the interface between the ZL and Boston-based Development teams. Ensure that ZL team members are arranging their work with attention to timelines associated with proposal and report submissions, with awareness of upcoming deadlines associated with Haiti-centric fundraising campaigns and Communications pieces. Proactively raise issues with ZL and PIH leadership to enable timely solutions.
- Build strong relationships with ZL site and program leaders to enable timely bi-directional information flow and to facilitate visits by out-of-country funders.
- Build strong relationships with the US-based Development and Communications teams to ensure efficient workflow.
- Partner effectively in identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding significant donor of all types.
- Ensure team maintains accurate, timely records of contacts with donors and work accomplished. Produce progress and financial reports for ZL/PIH executive leadership.
- At least 10 years of development experience with progressively increasing responsibility in a similarly complex international environment, including at least seven years of leadership and management experience.
- Experience with strategic and annual planning, project management, and process improvement efforts.
- Diverse experience with the variety of programs that comprise a comprehensive fundraising operation, including annual giving, major and planned giving, foundations, corporate and public sector giving, as well as operations and research.
- Sound understanding of development best practices, including individual team member roles and responsibilities as well as the systems and procedures required to support comprehensive fundraising efforts.
- Ability to conceptualize and describe funding needs in a way that is compelling to prospects, donors, Board members and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrated success in growing a donor prospect base including strong prospect research skills and a solid understanding of moves management.
- Experience with branding, communications and marketing.
- Strong analytical and numerical skills, including the ability to understand and analyze budgets and financial information thoroughly.
- Track record of soliciting and closing six and seven figure gifts and contracts.
- Excellent persuasive writing, editing, and presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented environment.
- Global awareness and a keen interest in international affairs.
- Passion for PIH’s mission and ability to effectively serve as an ambassador for the organization.
Partners In Health is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Salary Offer POA