Program Volunteer Roles, 2019-2020
Compañeros En Salud (CES) is an affiliate of Partners In Health in Chiapas, Mexico. The organization’s mission is to build a primary health care model of excellence in rural Mexico. To learn more about the organization and its mission, as well as the location and living conditions of our site please visit http://www.companerosensalud.mx. The PIH website offers additional context at: www.pih.org.
CES strives to create volunteer positions that serve the organization’s mission and priorities as well as provide a substantive learning experience. The volunteer roles are based in Chiapas, Mexico, and contribute to key service and research functions of the organization.
These roles are ideal for a recent college graduate exploring global health, medical or graduate student taking a gap year, or a mid-career professional interested in exploring a global health career. The volunteer roles are not clinical in nature.
All applicants should have high proficiency in Spanish, and be able to confidently carry out work conversations exclusively in Spanish. CES also looks for applicants who have a demonstrated ability to adapt to rural conditions, such as candidates who have lived in a resource-poor or rural area previously or who have participated in wilderness or camping activities.
Support to Volunteer
CES is able in most cases to provide housing and any work-related transport once on site. CES is NOT able to defray the cost of flights to Chiapas or to provide stipends to volunteers. If you plan to apply for travel or financial support from your university, workplace, or another institution, we will collaborate with you by providing any necessary letters or site paperwork.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Please include any time constraints related to fellowship applications in your application.
Partners In Health (PIH) is an international health organization relentlessly committed to improving the health of the poor and marginalized. PIH partners with local governments to build local capacity and works closely with impoverished communities to deliver high-quality health care, address the root causes of illness, train providers, advance research, and advocate for global policy change.
PIH currently has implementation programs in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Russia, Sierra Leone and Navajo Nation. Through our partnership with Harvard Medical School and the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, we support a wide range of programs in dozens of other countries around the world.
Position: Health Information Technology Volunteer
Reports to: CES Primary Care Director
Health Information Technology (HIT) has the incredible potential to improve global health by informing at the system level and assisting providers at the point of care. We are looking for a volunteer to help develop and administrate technology supporting CES operations, and to assist with programmatic data analysis. Projects include but are not limited to expanding the scope and capability of the CommCare deployment, improving the local network, and the design and implementation of robust data management protocols. Strong preference will be given to applicants available to live on-site, whether available to work full-time or not. The volunteer is expected to collaborate with CES’s leadership team to lead HIT initiatives to support the organization’s growth and system development. This position is ideal for a candidate passionate about developing HIT to improve healthcare quality and access in the global health sector.
Position currently open for volunteer applicants.
- Provide technical support to team members doing data analysis
- Maintain and deploy updates to our field EMR systems
- Create CommCare interfaces for data collection as part of monitoring and evaluation (M&E) for CES’s community health worker, maternal and mental health programs
- Implement and administrate data management and security protocols
- Maintain and improve network infrastructure
- Manage and administrate devices
- Maintain and improve the CES website
- Communicate with team members to assess HIT needs and conduct development accordingly
- Communicate progress, challenges, and goals to CES leadership regularly
- Self-driven and proactive in leading project initiatives
- Strong sense of teamwork, desire to support team members in their work
- Familiarity with a programming language useful for data analysis
- Experience in HITS development (e.g. EMR Systems, Mobile Technology Health Platforms)
- Familiarity with Linux, shell scripting
- Ability to troubleshoot Windows
- Comfortable working with computer parts
- Experience with network configuration
- Familiarity with spreadsheets
- Flexibility in dealing with limited technology and changing organizational needs
- Interest in learning and mastering new technology systems and techniques
- Curiosity about how technology works
- Spanish language skills and experience living outside your home country
Please include a one page resume/CV AND cover letter in order to be considered.
Partners In Health is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Salary Offer POA