The Research Consultant will undertake projects geared towards the evaluation of performance and impact of PIH-LIB activities. S/he will work closely with the Health Monitoring, Evaluation and Informatics (HMEI) team to meet project milestones and deliverables. The ultimate goal of these projects is to strengthen clinical and community health programs, support development and proposal development, along with identifying opportunities for further research. The Research Consultant will spend a significant amount of time building the capacity of the HMEI team, PIH staff, and MOH colleagues.
The Research Consultant will be responsible for day-to-day management of data collection, cleaning, and analysis of facility-based and household-level data collection initiatives newly underway to demonstrate PIH’s impact in Maryland County. This will include guidance and troubleshooting with field data collectors and facility staff charged with conducting household and patient surveys, data cleaning/validation, and analysis. This role will also lead initiatives to utilize existing monitoring data to strengthening our programming, quality of care, and dissemination of results. Additionally, the Research Consultant will explore ways to strengthening data systems and identify new opportunities for research. The Data Scientist will support implementation and operational research in order to improve access to health care, improve the health care delivery quality and efficiency, and disseminate our results of our PIH-MOH partnership with the Ministry of Health.
- Perform data collection, analysis, and evaluation of PIH’s supported and non-supported facilities to evaluate readiness to provide health care services.
- Work closely with clinicians and patients to collect and evaluate quality of care and patient exit surveys.
- Conduct household surveys with CH and HMEI teams within four catchments areas in Maryland County.
- Assist in developing and implementing quantitative, qualitative, mixed-methods projects and quality improvement projects
- Train, support and mentor local staff in methods for rigorous data collection, validation and analysis/visualization
- Build data use and research capacity within PIH, and other partners including MOH and Tubman University
- Assist PIH-LIB and PIH Boston in preparing preliminary reports and presentations, with emphasis on ensuring we share the highest quality data and analyses with funders, Ministry of Health and other stakeholders· Work closely with the HMEI team to gather high quality data and appropriate indicators
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in in the health sciences, public health or social sciences.
- Substantive experience within a health-related research field in a low-income setting.
- Significant knowledge of global health research, implementation science and research, quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Experience in conducting research and translating that research into manuscripts, policy briefs and influencing practice.
- Proven ability and vested interest in building technical capacity within a team
- Knowledge of statistical programs required, with high desirability for expertise in utilization of commcare
- Experience in database design and management a plus
- Experience in working closely with national ministries and universities will confer an advantage.
- Self-driven, confident and articulate with the ability to work with minimal
- Exceptional communication skills (Oral and written)
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with professionals at all levels in diverse settings; must be flexible, reliable, responsive, and resourceful
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, work under pressure, and meet deadlines
- Willingness to live and work in a rural setting in Liberia
- Demonstrated passion for strengthening the health system in Liberia
- Leadership qualities – strategic visionary, able to work with staff of diverse backgrounds and skill levels
- Professional – resourceful problem-solver, adapts well to changing priorities and demands · Interpersonal skills – able to communicate effectively, active listener, and provides constructive feedback; team player; able to build, motivate and mentor the HMEI team
Partners In Health (PIH) is an international health organization relentlessly committed to improving the health of the poor and marginalized. PIH partners with local governments to build local capacity and works closely with impoverished communities to deliver high-quality health care, address the root causes of illness, train providers, advance research, and advocate for global policy change.
PIH currently has implementation programs in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Russia, Sierra Leone and Navajo Nation. Through our partnership with Harvard Medical School and the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, we support a wide range of programs in dozens of other countries around the world.
Partners In Health is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability
- £ Salary Offer POA